As a musician, it can be very tempting to create the same sound that everyone else is creating. While we ARE influenced by our surroundings to a degree, there's a certain uniqueness that resides in all of us that must be tapped into. It's by tapping into this uniqueness that you obtain that "special something" that nobody else has. Even if you're musically in a popular market, it's possible to put your unique spin on what's out and create something different.
So how can you be more original? By doing what I call an originality cleanse. God has already put everything you need inside of you. You just have to tap into it. This is how you do it.
1. You need to take time to find yourself musically. Stop listening to all other music for one month. I mean ALL music. Of course you can't avoid music on movies/tv commercials and such lol, but turn your radio OFF.
2. Get in the studio with a musician/producer and EXPERIMENT. If you're a musician yourself, then that's even better! Isolate yourself and dig really deep. Don't worry about what's current, don't worry about what's popular, just simply create whatever you naturally feel in your heart and let the chips fall where they may.
3. Don't put any limits on yourself . Remove CAN'T from your mindset. Try anything and everything (legal of course lol). Let your music be totally sporadic and organic.
4. Even if what you create sucks, keep creating until it doesn't suck. Keep trying. It may be uncomfortable or frustrating but PUSH. Similar to a health detox or cleanse, you may experience some resistance (creatively) to do what you've always done.
5. Create something every day of the cleanse. Don't miss ANY days. Doesn't have to be perfect, just create.
You'll be surprised what comes out of you! Instead of drawing from other people's music for inspiration, you'll learn how to draw inspiration from your own life. Your pain, your joy, your emotions, your senses, the environment, everything! Life is full of amazing song material! I've used a lot of material in my own life to create awesome beats with hooks, something I never saw myself EVER doing lol! Some of the most successful artists in the world have turned their pain into success through song. Something as simple as seeing a leaf fall from a tree can inspire an amazing record. Records created during a strong emotional state (sorrow, anger, etc) will be some of the best content you've ever created. Learning how to put your life into musical form will certainly breed originality because it's YOUR life! Whether you're a producer trying to create unique beats for sale or if you're an artist trying to create unique songs, I hope you find this information very useful. Be blessed!